Sunday, October 17, 2010

Light, Fresh and Pork


When I'm really suffering for my sins of a Saturday night, I need Vietnamese. The fresh flavours and abundant use of aromatics and vegetables is delicious, but also gives me a smug sense of virtue.

Sure, I'm having breakfast at 3:00pm as it's the earliest I could face the day after going to bed at probably 4 or 5am, it's a little hazy. Yeah and obviously it took neurofen, enough berrocca to turn my urine neon and about a billion espressos to get me to Camberwell. That I may throw up is an unexpected and unwelcome addition to my symptoms. All that is true, but goddamnit if I didn't eat some carrot, which is extremely nutritious.

Those cheery chappies above? They were my summer rolls. Delicate and fragrant. The prawn bringing with it a lovely chew with the crunch of the Viet mint. I adore ricepaper, you could wrap socks in it and I'd likely enjoy myself. A lovely small bite for the start of the meal.

For the main event, BBQ Pork noodle soup. There are some days that noodle soup is just what's happening, if it is what I crave, then absolutely nothing else will suffice. Oh happy this soup was as well! Lovely large pieces of well seasoned pork floating amongst spring onion and herbs. The broth was fantastically rich and deep. The noodles were still quite springy and delightful. Thankfully the owners of Viet Hin are starting to get used to my presence and understand that when I ask for extra chili, I mean a lot. Firey little additions to a sublimely well balanced dish.

All for under a tenner with tea (allowing me to add thrift to my growing list of virtues for the day) made me a very happy eater. Equilibrium restored.

Van Hing
42 Camberwell Church Street
London
SE5

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sam, welcome to the Blogosphere. Am looking forward to some great photographs and insightful reviews spiced with some useful recipes. I wouldn't mind if you found yourself in some superb vegetarian restaurant and did a post on it.

Blessings and bliss
Brigid

Red Nomad OZ said...

I'm salivating, even though Camberwell is a fair way from OZ! But Vietnamese flavours transcend location, yes?

Happy travels!!

Samuel Walker said...

will see what I can do re: vegetarian, but I do have a spot in mind!